ArcelorMittal Hamburg was founded in 1969 as Hamburger Stahlwerke GmbH and today more than 550 employees produce quality wire rods for drawing plants across Europe. The annual production volume is around 720,000 tons. The wire rod is bundled in coils and transported 50% by road, 25% by ship and the rest by rail. Up to 80 trucks leave the plant every day.
- Germany, Hamburg
- February 2023
Manufacturing, Self Service Access, Yard Control Tower, Yard Task Management
In the steel industry, logistics costs often determine whether an order is profitable or not. ArcelorMittal Hamburg, therefore, faced the following challenges:
Short-term orders: many customers do not have their own warehouses and rely on just-in-time deliveries.
Unforeseen fluctuations in capacity utilization during the loading activities: the warehouse team was either overwhelmed or underutilized.
Truck congestion and safety problems caused by the outgoing transport flows: the throughput times were up to four hours at peak times.
High internal administrative effort due to paper transport documents: arrival confirmations, among others, had to be repeatedly requested from transport service providers.
Arbitrary loading order: there are no parking facilities in front of the factory premises, nor does the circuit offer any chance for trucks to overtake other trucks.
Communication difficulties: there are many different nationalities among the drivers.
Since 2007, ArcelorMittal Hamburg has been digitalising its logistics processes with the help of the Transporeon Platform. The system is perfectly embedded in the existing SAP landscape of ArcelorMittal via an interface. In addition, the yard management system from Peripass was implemented by ArcelorMittal Hamburg in 2022.
Through the transport assignment No-Touch Order and Best Carrier, the dispatchers assign their transport orders digitally, which takes only a few seconds.
For pick-up in Hamburg, carriers use Time Slot Management to book digital time slots.
Optimal utilisation of the conditions offered by the facility and prioritisation of trucks through the yard management system from Transporeon partner Peripass.
- More efficient time management: Reduce lead times to less than 90 minutes and reduce truck waiting times by 30%.
- Leaner administrative processes: The simpler processing of transport documents, queries and complaints saves up to 460 working hours per year.
- Savings: By reducing transport costs by 10% and more efficient personnel management, €120,000 can be saved annually.
- Better loading planning: The arrival time of the trucks for outbound traffic is known and controlled in advance and the loading sequence of the trucks can be prioritised.
- Improved communication: Truck drivers can do a self-registration and receive directions through SMS messages in their local language.
Would you like to see how Peripass works? Book a demo
Book a 30-minute call to discover how Peripass could work for you.